Are you frustrated with the homework you assign? Do you feel like it’s a lot of work, stress and frustration with very little to show for it?
You’re not alone. And there’s something you can do about it.
Many teachers across the United States and the world are rethinking the tradition of homework in schools. They’ve finding that the minutes and tears that we spend in homework just isn’t producing the kind of results they’d like.
Research hasn’t been able to prove that homework is a best practice.
- Cooper (1989) shows that homework has zero effect on elementary students and near zero effect on middle school students. (Its effect on high school students isn’t a clear-cut win, either.)
- Hattie (2011) lists homework as a below-average influence related to learning and achievement.
Are you ready to try something different?
In the Ditch That Homework workshop, we will …
- Examine what homework research says — and doesn’t say
- Discuss our own experiences with homework and our reflections on it
- Look at what else we can do instead of homework to help students succeed
What they’re saying about Matt Miller’s workshops …
What an amazing and inspiring day! I had a great time teaching and learning. @jmattmiller was amazing! — Angela (Oregon) via Twitter
@jmattmiller is rocking his presentation on connecting students to the world — Amanda (Indiana) via Twitter
Thanks for an awesome day of audacious learning and thinking BIG! — Marissa (Illinois)
Thanks for your sessions! You inspired me to continue for 21st century teaching! — Terence (Illinois)
Mishawaka Ditch That Homework Workshop
- Date: February 8, 2018 (Thursday)
- Time: 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. EST
- Location: Northern Indiana Educational Service Center (NIESC), 56535 Magnetic Drive, Mishawaka, IN 46545
- Lunch on your own (75 minutes)
- Cost: $99
- Max registration: 30 attendees
- Scroll down for more info and to register!
Here’s what you’ll get in The Ditch That Homework Workshop …
- The research: What research is out there on homework? What does it say? What does it NOT say?
- The issues and concerns: What are your experiences with it — positive and negative?
- What we can do: How can we teach more effectively and efficiently in class so we don’t need homework — or rely on it less?
- Plus, you’ll get a certificate for six hours of professional learning to turn in to your school or district!
Take the first step … get registered!
Ready to get equipped and inspired to do more in your classroom?
Fill out the form below with your details and click the Continue to Payment button. Pay with a credit card or PayPal. Then mark your calendar for the Ditch That Homework Workshop!
Paying by purchase order? Fill out the form for each participant you’re registering. Then follow the directions for submitting the PO and paying on the confirmation page after you submit information.
Questions? Feel free to email matt@DitchThatTextbook.com and we’ll get right back to you!
Did the registration form call you “blacklist spam”? That’s not very polite, is it?!? It’s a problem we’re trying to get fixed, and you haven’t done anything wrong.
If you’re having trouble getting registered, please email matt@DitchThatTextbook.com and we’ll get it taken care of.